Skip to main content

Auckland Floods

A state of local emergency has been declared for Auckland due to severe weather causing flooding.

MetService weather warnings

How to access the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund

Applications to the Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund can be made online. People can call Auckland Council on 09 301 0101 during business hours for assistance to complete applications forms.

Work and Income support

Support and assistance may be available if you’ve been affected by flooding in the Auckland region.

There are lots of ways Work and Income can help, and they can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don’t have to be on a benefit. You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

Call 0800 400 100. Work and Income is open 8am-1pm Saturday and Sunday, 7am-5pm Monday, and 8am-5pm Tuesday to Friday.

Education Update

The Ministry of Education urge schools and kura to be prepared.

MOE is actively monitoring the situation and will keep you up to date as things develop over the weekend.

In the meantime, go to the Bulletins for the updates that have been sent to schools and early learning services with all the information MOE currently knows.

Finance and banking

Banks are offering help for affected businesses. You may be able to get:

  • A temporary business overdraft
  • Deferred payment for business credit cards
  • Relief options for business loans

Talk to your bank to find out what assistance they can offer.

Inland Revenue Support

Inland Revenue understands people may be unable to file or pay their tax on time because of the recent severe weather events in the north of the North Island.

During events like these IR can offer additional support and they have several ways to help people through this.

No need to contact IR right now, just when you reasonably can.

Civil Defence payments

If you and your family are affected by an emergency event, you may be able to get a Civil Defence Payment.

You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence payment.

Non-residents may be eligible for this payment.

In most cases it doesn’t matter what your income is or what assets you have.

Mental health and wellbeing

If you or your employees are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, visit First Steps. Other free services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

Insurance claims

If you’re a business owner, register your claims with your insurer as soon as you can.

Business insurance can cover everything from damages to premises, lost or damaged stock, equipment or goods owned by others, vehicles and cover for not being able to operate as well as business interruption cover for loss of profit.

Information for building owners

Your home, workplace or property may need a building assessment by a suitably qualified professional if it is damaged by a major event. This is to ensure it is safe to enter, safe to occupy and does not risk the safety of others.

Building assessments


Get in touch with your tenants to check everyone is safe, and to talk about any damage to your property.

As a landlord, you are responsible for paying for damages caused by a natural disaster, including drying the property if there’s water damage.

Water and wastewater

Disposing of waste

Emergency planning

What will you and your staff do if a disaster strikes? Putting time into planning for emergencies makes good business sense — it helps keep you and your workers safe and minimises downtime.

Continuity and contingency planning

Continuity and contingency planning is about being prepared for all types of disruptions, eg an earthquake, broken equipment or losing a supplier — and quickly getting back on your feet.

Use this step-by-step guide to get your plan sorted. It’s vital to your business’s survival.

Support for Auckland businesses

The Government is providing a $5 million package of emergency support to help businesses significantly affected by the recent flooding in Auckland.
Details will be available soon.

0800 helpline for Auckland businesses

The Auckland Business Chamber is committed to supporting you and your business through this trying time. Please contact us on 0800 005 605 for any help you may need.


If you’re having employment issues get in touch with the Early Resolution Service.

It’s a free phone-based service to help you with workplace issues early, quickly, and informally.

Looking after your employees

Take care of yourself and your employees during this time.
If it’s not safe for them to work, don’t require them to do so.
Keep communicating with them. You may need to consider changes to your leave policy.

NZME advertising support

Following the destructive weather events across the North Island, New Zealand Media & Entertainment (NZME) announced on Saturday that one million dollars of advertising will be made available across its print, audio and digital platforms for businesses impacted by these events.

If you need help

  • If your life is at risk, phone 111
  • Please only return to your property if it is safe to do so
  • Take pictures of any damage for your insurance company and contact them as soon as possible
  • To report flooding, damage to drains, or stormwater issues, please log your issue online at or phone 0800 22 22 00
  • To report slips on private land contact the landowner, or if you are the landowner, your insurance company
  • For landslides that might affect public land, contact Auckland Council on 09 301 0101
  • For landslides that might affect public roads, contact Auckland Transport on 09 355 3553
  • If you need urgent accommodation assistance, phone 0800 22 22 00
  • For welfare assistance you can phone the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 400 100

Return to our Home Page

Close Menu